December 7

To start the day off, my family and I shared a conversation about America at the table. The beginning of my day consisted mostly of staying in the house and relaxing. Around 4 in the afternoon my host and I went out to Souq Waqif. Souq Waqif is Qatar’s oldest market and offers an authentic shopping experience. In the souq one can find many things such as essential oils, traditional clothing, a plethora of spices and many other products. I bought a couple of souvenirs, such as keychains and a water bottle with Qatar’s flag on it.
At the souq we watched some interesting dances. One dance included men wearing white clothing and riding fake horses while dancing to Arabic music. After walking around for hours and looking at many cool things… we met up with a couple of other CGS students and their hosts. We walked around for a while together and tried to find a restaurant that would accept a group of twelve. Finally, we found a Turkish restaurant that allowed us to sit on the balcony. Sitting on the balcony was a breathtaking experience. We could see the entire souq from up there. I ordered a cup of Turkish coffee expecting to get a real mug, but instead, they brought out a small espresso cup and a pot with a long handle. On the ride home I was able to see the many great sites that Qatar has to offer.  

-Alex Boston

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November 30

December 3